Pages

Saturday 1 June 2013

It takes blood, sweat and tears to become a succesful designer abroad —Frank White


Frank White is one of the leading succesful Nigerian urban fashion designers making waves in London, United Kingdom. The British-born University of Luton, London, Psychology graduate is the first designer to introduce the now common badge emblem logo stiched on shirts, Jackets, blazers, shoes and other fashion accessories. In this interview with Kate Ani, he spoke about his love for fashion and why it takes blood, sweat and tears to survive in the fashion designing world.


Background.
I was born in London in 1972 to Nigerian parents who met while they were schooling in the United Kingdom. I came down to Nigeria with my father in 1977 and settled in the north where I was enrolled in Kano Capital School. It was then run by expatriates.
 After completing my secondaryschool education, I proceeded to a private college, Musa Iliasu College, also in Kano. While in  Junior Secondary School II, I joined Federal Government College, Kaduna. I left the latter and returned to England after a riot. In England, I enrolled at College of North West London where I did a one year access course and then proceeded to University of Luton to study Psychology.

How did you get into fashion designing and when did you realise you wanted to become a designer?
As a young boy growing up in Nigeria, I was artistic and creative. I always wanted my clothes to look different from anything anyone had, and so I was in the habit of modifying my clothes to the desired taste and that included things like adding extras that were not included by the manufacturer. I got into fashion because I wanted to wear things I have not seen other people wear, so I started by designing my own clothes to suit my personal taste. I dislike conformity. Why look the same as everybody else? There is no fun in that. This exposed me into the fashion world.

 What is your brand, Frank White about?
Frank White, is an urban fashion brand that was created out of necessity and now, with a lot of hard work and perseverance, has grown into a bespoke brand that creates clothing and footwear to specific needs.

What does fashion mean to you and how would you describe Nigerians sense of style and fashion?
Fashion to me is what you make it to be. It doesn’t depend on what is popular or what is current. Fashion is how you wear your ensembles. Nigerians as a whole have always been fashionable. We come from a society where we all want to look the best we can. So fashion has become an essential part of being a Nigerian as a nation of fun loving, hard working and good looking people. 

In what ways do the acts of designing shoes and accessories differ from that of clothes?
They do not differ, it’s all about expression. Designing is creativity based, and creativity is an expression. Taking things that already exist and putting my own twist, be it a shirt or a shoe, the same rules apply. I try to create things that are different with any piece I work on. Something that stands out, that is aesthetically pleasing to the eye and different to what has been seen or done before. Sometimes nothing changes, but the colours you use could make all the difference. 

 What are some of your accomplishments as a designer?
As a designer, I have had the pleasure of working with and for various people from various walks of life.  From state governors, senators, business men in Nigeria, to premiership footballers from various clubs like Tottenham Hotspurs, Arsenal Football Club and Newcastle United to mention a few. Several Nigerian artistes like Olamide, Don Jazzy, Wande Coal, Duncan Mighty and Basket Mouth the comedian  have worn some of my clothings.

Where do you buy your fabrics and other sewing materials?
All of my fabrics and materials   are  European based. There is a certain quality that the European Union Certification  allows. I stay within the EU simply because the quality is guaranteed by the European Certification.

What is your favourite part  in conceptualising a design?
Every part of the process is a joy.  From drawing designs on a notepad to shopping for the materials and then realising the design in  its  real form are all enjoyable.  It is almost the same feeling as a proud mother watching her child grow up from a toddler to becoming a medical doctor.

What’s  your philosophy about the art of  fashion?
Fashion is a concept generally left  to personal interpretation. Everyone has its own philosophy when it comes to his or her wardrobe, or in some cases, no philosophy at all. I hardly consider myself a fashionista, but I do have my own style, which is something that I take a lot of pride in. My desire to accurately represent who I am via my clothes is a 24/7 thing.

How would you   define  your signature  fashion brand ?
The word eclectic comes to mind. There is no specific style, the main objective is to put an individual in a piece that suits him or her.  Most individuals choose   their styles depending on height, complexion and size.

What do you think is the most important trait of a fashion designer?
Creativity and adaptability. Fashion essentially revolves around a top, a bottom and a pair of shoes. Creativity will enable you to come up with a beautiful concept and adaptability will enable you to change from the norm to the unseen before.

What would you tell anyone who wants to break into the field?
It is not an easy field to break into. A lot of sweat, tears, hard work and perseverance are required. The design for a breakthrough saps you of your blood. Not everyone who goes into it is recognised or becomes successful. I can tell you that hard work, luck and creativity are all part of the essential ingredients that make a successful designer.

Who is your most influential fashion designer?
I have a mentor that I  look up to, Mr Adebayo Jones, a London based Nigerian bridal wear designer. I have had the pleasure of meeting him several times and he is as good as gold.

 What kind of men’s clothes would you never wear?
I can wear anything, but I have a dislike for baggy clothes. My personal taste is that my clothes be fitted. I think it looks better on me, but again, it’s a matter of personal taste.
 
What inspire or motivate you to keep persevering in this ‘cut-throat’ industry?
The dream to succeed and the passion for fashion. I have a saying, ‘ I like what I do because I do what I like’ . You have to enjoy what you do because if you don’t, it becomes mundane and you lose interest and focus.

How is this year’s collection different from what you’ve done in the past?
Every year, I try to create something different from the year before. The good thing with fashion is that, even a little change is noticeable and I always try to improve the quality every year so that my clients get better value for  their  money.
 
Does your work reflect your personal fashion taste? Can you describe your style
Yes, my work does reflect my taste in clothes, especially the clothes I make for myself, I have to wear what I expect others to wear and I have to wear it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Us Your Views