Pages

Sunday 28 June 2015

24-year-old healthy girl wins the right to end her life by assisted suicide

Depression

24-year-old healthy girl  known as Laura has won the right to end her life by euthanasia or assisted suicide despite not having any life-threatening illnesses because she claims to have had suicidal thoughts since childhood.
Assisted suicide has been legal in Belgium since 2003.

Laura, who was born after an unplanned pregnancy and had a troubled early upbringing  told doctors: “Life, that’s not for me.”

She has been in a psychiatric institution since the age of 21 and told local paper De Morgen: “Even though my childhood certainly contributed to my suffering, I am convinced that I had had this death wish even though I grew up with a quiet, stable family.”
“Death feels to me not as a choice. If I had a choice, I would choose a bearable life, but I have done everything and that was unsuccessful.
“I played all my life with these thoughts of suicide, I have also done a few attempts.
“But then there is someone who needs me, and I don’t want to hurt anyone. That has always stopped me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Us Your Views