"During sleep, you cannot fake your body language. This is the time when you are honest, vulnerable and your sleeping position can reveal a lot about your relationship."
Corinne added: "Couples fall into habitual ways of sleeping together that suits their personalities and personal preferences. These are negotiated at the outset, so if something changes in how they sleep together, this can reflect a change in their relationship and cause concern for the other partner.
Cherish - back to back but touching (18%)
Individual sleeping positions explained:
- Symbolically curled positions in sleep mean “I want to trust others and feel safe”
- Bodies stretched out in sleep mean “I want to take charge and experience adventure”
- Hands curled inwards mean “I want to cuddle and connect”
- Hands wrapped around a pillow can indicate a cuddly nature. If hands and/or arms are held, or pressed tightly, or straight down at the sides it means “I want to be alone”
- Sleeping on your stomach temporarily typically shows you are anxious or feel things are out of control and need to protect the vulnerable front of your body
- An individual who always sleeps on his/her stomach but with arms bent and hands up around the head in a crown position is showing s/he is persistent, goal oriented, compulsive and stubborn
The study of 2,000 couples was conducted by hotel chain Travelodge.