Tuesday, 23 July 2013
28 year old man electrocuted in Jos
A 28-year-old electrician was, Tuesday, electrocuted in Apata area of Jos, the Plateau State capital while trying to fix a problem on an electricity pole in the area.
The man identified as Chukwuebuka Eze, according to eyewitnesses, climbed the pole in Agwan Lambu quarters around noon ostensibly to change the supply phase to his shop when the Power Holding of Nigeria, PHCN, suddenly restored light, which electrocuted him.
According to an eyewitness, his shirt caught fire and burnt out even as his body remained glued to the electric line.
A loud spark was said to have been heard as he was electrocuted, drawing the attention of neighbours who watched helplessly.
A woman identified as a neighbour to the deceased screamed as she came out and saw him on fire and dangling from the pole describing the incident as “terrible and horrifying.”
“I just heard people shouting and I rushed out to see a man on top of an electric pole with his shirt on fire; I did not even know that it was my neighbour; this is terrible”, she later told Vanguard amidst tears.
Some onlookers rushed to PHCN office to lodge a report for the electricity supply to the area to be cut off and it took the combined effort of PHCN officials and some concerned residents to bring down the corpse of the deceased .
The corpse was later taken away by the PHCN officials accompanied by three policemen.
The deceased said to be in his late twenties and who hailed from Anambra State and only on Sunday launched a gospel album. It was learnt that his relations and kinsmen have been contacted.